Friday, April 13, 2007,10:18 AM
Salma Hayek Gets Tough With Domestic Violence
Salma Hayek Gets Tough With Domestic Violence.... Actress Salma Hayek is urging women to take control of their lives and help others in an effort to end domestic violence.

The Frida star has joined a Marie Claire crusade to wipe out domestic violence in the next 10 years and thinks it's time women started to make a stand to demand the respect they deserve.

She says, "Men have been running the world and - I'm sorry - but they have not taken us to a good place. We are in crisis.

"What would happen if women were in power? What decisions would we make?

Pregnant Hayek admits she was introduced to domestic violence at a young age - when her father attempted to stop a man from beating up his wife in the street.

She recalls, "Instead of being grateful, she (the beaten woman) turned and started beating him (father) for defending her.

"Some people might say, 'Well, then it's her fault,' but it made me realise she needed much more help than someone breaking up a fight."

Meanwhile Salma Hayek admits she has one major regret about her labour of love movie Frida - she developed a smoking habit on the set.

The Mexican star quit smoking when she discovered she was pregnant, but still can't believe she became one of the people she used to detest.

She says, "I used to have a terrible judgment of smokers. I was like, 'Why do they do this? It tastes bad, it's going to kill them, and it doesn't even get them high. It's the s**ttiest vice you could possible pick.' "Then I got hooked during Frida. I've tried to quit before. But this time I'm done with it. I've changed. I know I can do it."

 
posted by Nandy18
Permalink ¤